Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Getting to know me

I love musicals.  I've mentioned before that it doesn't take much for something to remind me of a musical or a line in a musical.  Then once it's in my head I'm off and running.  So today is obviously The King and I... with a twist.

Anyway,  I've realised that I haven't really told my story on the blog.  I kind of jumped into blogging and sharing bits and pieces as they came up but I didn't begin at the very beginning (a very good place to start... when we read we begin with ABC.... Ok, sorry).

There's a cute story about how my Grandparents met but I'll have to tell it some other time because at this rate I might never get around to me! 

My parents met in high school through church youth group.  Mum was born in Yorkshire, England and moved to Canada when she was a kid.  Somehow the accent has persisted.  It becomes particularly strong when she's in a business setting.  She stared in My Fair Lady in high school and can still remember some newspaper critic saying how terrible her English accent was. Who actually criticizes high school musicals?? I mean other than the High School Musical films....

My father was born and raised in New Brunswick and is Maritime Canadian to the core (we tried taking him out... somehow we wound up back... when I was 16... that's another story). Anyway, my parents were each others prom dates.  How cute is that?  How cute are they?


They then headed off to the same university which happens to be the same little east coast primarily undergraduate institution that I went to.  The one may have had something to do with the other.

As a history student I think I was particularly drawn to the role that my university played in my family history.  I lived in the residence that my mother lived in her last year (it was just called "New Res" because it was so new they hadn't named it) and bought my textbooks in the building that used to be their dining hall and went to the old movie theatre (now unfortunately no longer in business) that they went to.  I had dinner with my grandparents to celebrate my graduation in the restaurant where my parents went the night they got engaged.

Mum and Dad at University
 Unfortunately for my future employment I didn't become an accountant like my parents! I think Dad would be the first to agree that my brain and accounting were just not meant to mix.  Something about a complete lack of linear thinking and a tendency to jump all over the place do not mix well with accounting.


My parents got married right after graduation and started work right after that.  Those were the days... when you walked out of a degree and into a proper full time job.  Anyone else jealous? I would be except for that darn accounting part.  They moved to a little apartment in the town where Husband and I now live.  Only the apartment burned down a few years ago.  Then they moved to a little house seriously right around the corner from where I live now.


Five years later the world started... I was born. Dad finds it pretty funny that I live about a kilometer (like half a mile? I don't know, google it) from the house they lived in when I was born... I just got there via Ontario, Nova Scotia, Austria and England.  It sometimes freaks me out a little that I was six when Mum was the age I am now.

That's my super model stink eye obviously

I'll have to pick this up again sometime.  It's good fun! 

4 comments:

menopausal mama said...

Love the old pics of your folks. I have some black and white photos of parents, and people always look at them on the wall and ask if the woman is me! No--that's my mother! we look so much alike!! It's nice to have things like that to show our children and one day our grandchildren! Newest GFC follower from the blog hop. Would love it if you could visit my site and follow back. Thanks for sharing!

menopausal mama said...

Love the old pics of your folks. I have some black and white photos of parents, and people always look at them on the wall and ask if the woman is me! No--that's my mother! we look so much alike!! It's nice to have things like that to show our children and one day our grandchildren! Newest GFC follower from the blog hop. Would love it if you could visit my site and follow back. Thanks for sharing!

Megan Tenney said...

Lovely post! You should link up to our A Look Back series!
Also, I was a musical theatre major and still work in the field, so I quote musicals a lot too!

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

Love that you shared this! So many awesome ties to your history. WOW! I LOVE that! I am so with you there in regards to musicals!

Kristine from The Foley Fam {unedited} Blog