Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Novel Secret

A couple of weeks ago I agreed to link up with Lena from Mom 2 Memphis and Ruby for her Dirty Secret Saturday blog hop.  The thing is I had to send her a teaser to put on the blog... thereby keeping me from chickening out and just telling a "silly secret" like "I once went to bed without brushing my teeth" (Husband knows that's not true because I freak out at the idea of going to bed without brushed teeth!!).

So that means I have to actually tell me secret which is kind of a big deal to me even though it'll probably seem kind of silly to you.... I'm working on a novel.  Ok, Husband's going to call me on that because while I've been doing some research, building characters in my head and actually have the prologue written (in my head and memorized), I've actually been putting off the writing.

I'm a decent writer (as long as I stay away from poetry... so not good) but am well aware that I'm never going to write the next great Canadian novel (partially because for some reason Canadian novels always involve incest!! Why is that?).  I had an idea put into my head at a concert recently and I can see how the book would work.  I can see the arc. I'm just nervous of complete failure! I'm still convincing myself that writing a book purely because I would enjoy writing a book is worth it!  I mean that's time I could be spending watching The Vampire Diaries episodes. My spare time is valuable.  If you're making me give up my Vampires I want to know I'm going to be good at it!

When I was in university it absolutely pained me to watch a prof read an essay I wrote.  My friend once read my honours thesis (On the genderisation of the concept of genius in the Italian Renaissance) while he was working at the university library.  I could have died.

Blogging has really helped me to deal with the concept of people reading what I've written.  Actually, it led to my freelancing for a little local paper a couple of times a month.  I'm not promising to post excerpts from the novel any time soon but posting about it means I'll get my butt in gear on the project!

Our Writing Assistant

3 comments:

Nicole Jensen Barry said...

I feel the same way about people reading what I've written, but blogging has really helped me too. :) Don't be nervous about failing, writing a book just because you enjoy writing it IS worth it! If nothing else, at least you can say you actually wrote one. :)

And my black cat loves to lay by my laptop, as well. However, he prefers to be on the keyboard. :)

- Nicole @ Me + the Moon

Camille Griffiths said...

I've writing novels for like 10 years but have yet to finish one... I think actually finishing one would be such an accomplishment, that'd be success in and of itself. :) It's something I wish I could do, I keep trying though.

Camille Griffiths said...

I've been writing***